David is an established expert in global anti-fraud, anti-money laundering and anti-terrorism programs for financial institutions. David has an extensive number of publications in the fraud, AML, and information security arena. A frequent speaker at international conferences, he led the development and delivery of industry leading financial crime solutions for Norkom Technologies, a leading global technology provider, and continued with BAE Systems Detica after they acquired Norkom. Both Norkom and Detica have extensive Insurance fraud practices with leading clients around the world.
At Norkom, David led the “Fraud Centre of Excellence” and provided “thought leadership” to global clients such as: Royal Bank of Canada, National Bank, ANZ, Westpac, Suncorp, Credit Agricole, BNP Paribas, Washington Mutual, Swedbank, KBC Bank, Raiffeisen IG, HSBC, Lloyd’s and Standard Chartered Bank.
David was Director of Fraud and Anti-Money Laundering (AML) Solutions in BearingPoint's financial services practice. Prior to that, he spent ten years at the Bank of Montreal, where he established and ran the bank's Distribution Risk Group, including responsibility for electronic monitoring of fraud, AML and Anti-Terrorist Financing, was a member of the bank’s Operational Risk Management Committee, and Canadian electronic payments consortium's, (Interac) Fraud Risk Management Committee. Previous experience includes 3 years as a Principal in Ernst and Young’s Global Risk Management Group and Chairman of the Canadian Association of Management Consultants (2003-2004).
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- “ Fraud and AML as Sources for Value Recovery”, presentation to the International Bar Association, Helsinki, Finland, May 2012
- “Examining AML/CTF Programs in Islamic and Conventional Banking: Best Practices to Build Best-in-Class Compliance Programs” Conference Chair and presenter, Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists (ACAMS), Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, February 2011
- “The Link between Fraud and Information Security”, panelist to Financial Services Information Security Association conference (FSISAC), St Petersburg Florida USA, May 2010
- “AML and Compliance Issues facing Financial Institutions in MEA”, keynote presentation to Financial Institutions conference, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, March 2010
- “Securing the Future – Global Status on Fighting Financial Crime” presentations to Executive Forums in Stockholm Sweden, Brussels Belgium, Vienna Austria, Dublin Ireland, New York USA, San Francisco USA, October – November, 2009
- “The Financial Crime Challenge “, Financial Institutions Conference, Amman, Jordan, August 2009
- “The Global Fraud Landscape”, presentation to Australian Financial Services Fraud Workshop Sessions, Sydney and Melbourne, Australia, March 2009
- “Global Financial Crime Trends and Their Impact on South Africa”, presentation to IBM’s Financial Crime Seminar, Johannesburg, South Africa, February, 2009
- “The Financial Crime Challenge – Business Perspectives “, Financial Institutions Conference, Vienna, Austria, February 2009
- “Intelligent Crime Prevention”, keynote presentation to IBM’s Financial Crime Forum, Frankfurt am Main, Germany, October 2008
- “The Extent of External Fraud”, panelist to Financial Times Combating Financial Crime Conference, London, UK, June 2008
- “Global Developments in Identity Fraud”, panel presentation to Identity 2005: Identity Fraud Risk Management Conference, San Diego USA, September 2005.
- “Managing Operational Risk”, feature presentation to the Conference of the Confederation of Asia Pacific Accountants and the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Sri Lanka, Columbo Sri Lanka, November 2004
- “Operational Risk Management, Compliance and Financial Crime”, keynote presentation to the Compliant Risk Management Conference, London England, May 2004
- USA, Irish and European patents pending as co-inventor for an analytic approach to Mass Compromise Analysis across multiple channels and attack methodologies.
- US provisional patent application ID number 61944191, date filed Feb 25, 2014. SYSTEM AND METHOD THAT VERIFIES THE AUTHENTICITY AND ATTRIBUTES OF A PHOTO IDENTITY DOCUMENT AND THE IDENTITY OF ITS BEARER
Speaker at Money20/20 Europe 2016